Saturday, March 1, 2014

Let's take a train to Organization Station!

I LOVE ORGANIZATION!!!! I know I talk about it all the time and my anxiety with that kind of thing so let me tell you I was pumped to be able to organize all things baby before this munchkin arrives. I don't want to have to be digging in drawers and bins to find stuff in the dark in the night while he is screaming. I also want to make things easy for Taylor to find and put away. He can text me while I'm away and ask me where something is and 95% of the time I can say "under your bathroom sink, left side shelf in the basket labeled _____" and he can find it. I want the same for baby crap. So let's take a little tour and I will show you how I organized different places in our home.

We will start in the kitchen. Eventually this cabinet will be all baby related items, bottles, nipples, baby silverwear, bowls, plates, cleaning supplies, sippy cups etc etc. But for now we will keep our plastic cups here too. I got these containers from Target on the cheap, I think they are pretty and functional and easily wiped out and they fit perfectly. They only had 3 but I am on the hunt for a few more for the top and bottom shelves. I also intend to make a cute label for each one (not sure what I will make it out of yet though).
 For now the bins have sippy cups (and disposable sticky placements for when we eat out), baby bowls and plates and baby silverwear and bottle brushes. I plan to have another one that has bottles and bottle nipples soon (for now that is packed away until we start introducing bottles closer to when I go back to work, I fully intend to exclusively breastfeed to start.) These are all things my smart momma friends got us for our shower....way to think ahead girls!
 Next we move to the living room. I wanted to have a small changing station somewhere downstairs that also contains must have baby items so they are easily accessible to us without running up and down the steps. I got this shelf from target and the bins as well. I LOVE that everything is hidden out of site but still right there. I am trying to avoid my living room looking like a daycare center at least to start.
 The bins have burp rags and swaddling blankets on the left and diapers, diaper ointment and wipes in the right (I also have a vinyl changing mat to put on the floor to change his diaper on without going upstairs. I plan to throw some baby toys, and whatever essentials we decide we need in the left one as we go.

Into Henry's room. The bin that you all have seen on Henry's dresser is a metal Ford bin from Hobby Lobby that I got half off that I have used to organize must haves for easy access during diaper changes. The bins contain baby powder (not that I think I will use it), baby lotion (and a bottle of room spray), hand sanitizer, boogie wipes, a tub of desitin and lots of pacifiers.

In his drawers I wanted cloth bins to put in there to divide his clothing by size so we can grab what we need and what fits and leave the rest for orangized storage until he fits into it. I couldn't find the bin in the size I needed so I just made my own. I took matching green corduroy fabric that his comforter is made of and cut out cardboard in the sizes I needed. Then I covered them with the fabric using hot glue and placed them in the drawer, underneath his clothing is white shelf paper to protect his tiny outfits from potential splinters in the wooden drawer bottoms. These are his onesies organized by size newborn, 0-3mo, 3-6mo, 9mo, 12mo and 12mo and up.
 Here is the pants/shorts drawer also organized by size newborn, 0-3mo, 3-6mo and 12 mo. I don't have alot of larger pants yet.

This is the top of his changing station. Wipes hanging from the pegboard and diapers in the metal bin on the counter.

 Onto the closet. I have 5 bins on his shelf. The left one has bibs, the right has hats.

This one has socks, mittens and shoes.

The next has baby toys. There is one more to the right but it has nothing in it....yet.

I have extra diapers and wipes above his clothing. And then I have his hanging clothes organized by size with the wooden painted dividers I made. You can kind of see the tops of the wooden plaques (they are navy, light blue and green to match his room).

Onto his bathroom. My mom found this vintage tool box and I have used to keep a candle, kleenex, lotion and soap in it.


The drawers have baby washclothes in them and medicine (baby tylenol, gas drops etc) The shelves have extra diaper genie refills, and the white basket has bath toys.

The blue bin which match the ones in his closet hold his first aid kit, extra shampoo, lotion, boogie wipes, Q-tips etc. The other one holds rolled up hooded towels.

The bin hold bath toys like I said.

And this basket by his rocker holds all his books but they might have to be put into shelf on his closet too because that sucker is gettin full!


So there you have it! Ways I have organized my house for baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment