Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Life Lately

I am so annoyed with myself for not keeping up better with this little blog but Henry is mobile and not locked in with a gate anywhere anymore. I can't tell if I'm insane or just hopeful he will stay out of trouble. He does a pretty good job except for the ever tempting dog water dish which is a constant issue and the buffet in the dining room filled with Mommy's candles. I can't complain, I don't want to squash his exploration, just don't prefer him soaking wet and covered with broken glass at the same time. Thus, my attention is turned completely to him, not playing on the computer. Plus he likes to press every button he can manage if I am within arms reach so typing is just impossible unless he is in bed, in which case I want to unwind too.

He is talking so much now days saying phrases like "good girl" " Hi daddy!" "No dawg"  and his other single words like momma, daddy or dadda, night, down (telling Cora to lay down), go, hot and no.
He is legit running now, still bounces off walls a little (literally) but running. He is such a boy, covered in bruises, bumps, scrapes and peanut butter.

He is eating a lot more lately including anything with "sauce" (homeboy loves him some condiments). If I can't get him to eat chicken for example, I put a little salsa, BBQ sauce, ketchup or something near it and he downs an entire chicken breast. Small price to pay for getting the kid to eat. He also is obsessed with all fruits, a good sandwich and some black olives. We constantly work on vegetables and so far the only things he will do is celery and peas. Odd toddler. Odd.

Other than wrangling him we are getting ready for our family vacation. We rented a condo on the sand in Seagrove Beach, Florida. It's along 30A highway between Destin and Panama City. And..... We are driving there. EEeeekkkk! I can't tell if we are insane or just desperate for a vacation. Not only does forcing Henry to sit on my lap for at least one flight not sound fun to me, neither does chasing him through an airport or 3, paying for flights, checking his pack n' play, car seat and stroller among all the rest of the crap you need for a kid. Plus we love road trippin, might as well get our kid used to it right? We have driven to Michigan, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Florida all since we met and we have always had a blast. Something about belting out "Midnight Train to Georgia" pretending I am Gladys Knight while Taylor plays the Pips including hand signals for the train horn that just gets me in a good mood. Henry does pretty good in the car and we are hoping to leave at 3am praying he sleeps until his normal 7am and we will be in St. Louis by then. Then we can get out and let him run around at the park and eat breakfast and hit the road again only to have him be awake for a few hours before he takes his nap around 10 and by the time he wakes up we should be in Nashville for the night. We will spend the night there and take a dip in the hotel pool, go to the Loveless Cafe for those incredible biscuits and call it a night at 7pm when Henry goes to sleep all to get up and do it again the next day. Its 15 hours total so we will do 8 and 7 hour stretches and it should be okay. SHOULD. I'm packing a massive cooler of snacks and a big bag of brand new toys Henry won't have seen before, along with a portable DVD player. We are gonna hunker down and pray to God our plan works and that it's fun.

When we get to the beach, we have our condo on the ground floor complete with a covered porch, grill and small grassy yard all that overlook the ocean, with it's own wooden steps and sand shower that go down to the beach. Our condo has a washer and dryer and full kitchen so I can hopefully do most breakfasts and lunches there and we can eat dinner out at fun local places. I bought a cheap easy pop up beach tent that folds flat into a small bag to help us with some shade and a huge beach blanket that is actually a stiff woven tarp like mat to lay out to avoid the burning sand. The beach is usually pretty empty at this stretch and I can't wait to have Henry see the water and hopefully find shells and animals. I'm a little nervous about the sand thing and how he will react but oh well. We plan to do the gulfarium aquarium that is nearby and the gator farm and a few other fun things to.

Other than that, just working and living. I am going part time at work when we come back from Florida, which will be a huge life shift. I have ALWAYS had two and sometimes three jobs at a time since I graduated from college until I had Henry. We have paid off a lot of debt in our 4 years of marraige working so hard and have nothing but one car payment and some student loans left, Now that a lot of that is out of the way, we feel it's important for me to enjoy our kids when they are little and why not start now with Henry. I am only dropping one shift every 2 weeks so now instead of working 3, 12 hour shifts each week I will do 3 one week, 2 the next, 3, 2 etc etc.  It will mean I only work one night during the week every other week. The rest of the time just fridays and saturdays. The weekend thing isn't always fun, but it gives Henry and Taylor some much needed Daddy/ son bonding time while I sleep on saturdays in between shifts and it knocks out two shifts in a row. This way I will have basically my entire week off work and I get to be even more of a pretend stay at home mommy. Yay for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment