Thursday, November 6, 2014

Henry's 1st Halloween!

 
 
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
 
This year was ten fold the amount of fun that halloween usually is for me. Seeing all of my excitement reflected in this little guy's big blue eyes makes life so much fun.
He has no idea yet but he is in for a lifetime of holiday madness. Madness filled with traditions that Taylor and I both bring from our childhood and new ones we are creating together for Henry and our family. I firmly beleive in the power of traditions. Traditions bring family together. There were holiday seasons growing up where I wanted to punch my sister in the face for annoying me but you can't help but love each other when you get to go do something special that is a family tradition like picking our pumpkins and carving them or trick or treating.
I know Henry may not realize what is going on here but we are teaching him how crucial it is to spend time together as a family. Especially in a world that is so "plugged in". We want him to grow up with experiences and traditions that allow for family time, time to hang out together, love on each other and just have fun. Together. We lose that alot lately and I am working on unplugging. He is teaching me to spend time on the floor with him.
Not on my cell phone or watching TV but just on the floor playing. With him. With my family. Henry has been so good for both Taylor and myself in so many ways but he is teaching us all over again how important family is. Holidays just offer a great opportunity for family time. Like going to the apple orchard/pumpkin patch. Like carving pumpkins (for the first time).


Whilst wearing a candy corn bow tie no less. Go big or go home.


I want him to look back at his childhood and say "Hey mom! remember when you let me play in pumpkin goo to my heart's content and we watched hocus pocus and roasted pumpkin seeds? That was so much fun"
 

 

Remember when you let the dog eat the pumpkin goo off my hands....



Remember when we lit the pumpkins we carved on the front porch....
Remember when we put "spooky" decorations all over the house....
 
 








Remember when Daddy dressed up like a pirate with me so we could be "buddies"....

 "yeah mom, that was alot of fun!!"
I want those memories for my kids.

I can't wait to take fun halloween cupcakes to school for the kid's classroom halloween parties.



 "Remember when you made our costumes every year....mine was so cool mom!" and then we had all our friends over to trick or treat and celebrate and have fun!!







 That daddy is so goofy



So cheers friends...cheers to having fun, to unplugging, to creating memories with the best people I know. To dressing up like a freakin parrot and covering my house in feathers.

And  next year Henry, mommy will let you have a peice of candy but you can't have the brew. That adult witch's brew (caramel apple sangria)....oooh don't get me started. Yes it glowed and fogged green and it's really cool, but you don't get to try that until you're 21. You're welcome son.



 
That halloween.....that was fun! So here is to the start of our annual Halloween open house and to the many memories we will continue to make for our kids and for ourselves. Life is too short not to dress like a parrot or a pirate and have fun with the people you love most and gain a million pounds from endless halloween candy. Just sayin. Happy Halloween, 364 days until next time.
 


1 comment: