Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The day of too many baths.

Being a new mom, I find it a daily challenge to decide when to shower. I need to get Henry calm, quiet and content long enough to put him down for me to take a shower. Home boy LOVES to be held and snuggled and we pretty much have done that all day long for the past 12 weeks because that is what maternity leave is for, no? He is a pretty laid back kid and he doesn't mind hanging out by himself on his playmat or in his swing(s) for short periods of time but, lately these times have gotten shorter because if he is not asleep, he gets bored just sitting there. So I shower before he really gets up for the day or when Taylor gets home from work after dinner so he can hang out with the child and I can relax. Nothing says  relax "hurry up mom" like watching my nugget yell his head off in his swing on the bathroom floor while I am trying to rinse spit up and god knows what else off of me. sigh

Today was an exception. I got up and showered before Henry really woke up for the day (he gets up early like 5-6am and eats and then goes right back to sleep until 9-10am. PTL) I left my hair wet because we planned on going to the pool today and I knew I was gonna get gross in the sun and covered in sunscreen anyway. So we went to the pool with my friend Josie and her beautiful little girl Clara. Josie and Clara live 3 blocks away and we are trying to take the kiddos on more walks and to the pool this summer so we can get some girl time and get out of the house. We have a subdivision pool that is free and has a great kids area that is only a few inches deep so that's where we went today. I got Henry all ready to go, fed, changed and dressed in his swim trunks and swim shirt. They slay me with how tiny they are!

(I'm loving the swim shirt idea because it's less skin I have to worry about protecting from the sun.)Then we loaded up into the stroller and walked to the pool. Sunnies on and all.
I knew the water would be cool because the pool just opened a month ago and we've had rain and such lately so I knew he wouldn't really get in. I obviously wouldn't either but, we did dip our feet in  which felt great for me, jury is out on how Henry felt. He slept in his stroller in the shade or on my chest facing away from the sun for all but 20 or so minutes we were there. And I got time with Josie and Clara. Win Win. I mean really, how cute is he? Check out his little belly sticking out. ha!


So we got home and Henry sat in his swing on his towel while I washed all the sunscreen off in the shower for my second "bath" of the day. I embrace my paste and choose not to get fried to a crisp like I used to. Skin cancer just isn't worth it to me anymore so SPF 45 and higher it is for me. Then Henry got a bath to wash the sunscreen that was on me, off of him and the pool water and such off his little feet. 

So where does Henry's second bath come in?
Right here. 
I thought he was being awefully good in his swing while we ate our dinner. He was working on something very important clearly. 
Sick!
So instead of worrying about making a bigger mess or getting my kid clean or rescuing my husband, my first thought was to grab the camera and crack up laughing as Taylor got covered. HA!
We literally just took his clothes and diaper off and held him under the warm water from our bathtub faucet and then put him in his tub and scrubbed him clean.
Thus.
2 baths for mommy and 2 baths for baby and probably 2 for daddy by the time the day is done. 
Oh parenthood is amusing. I love it. Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment