Thursday, February 12, 2015

Baby meal ideas

Alot of people have been asking what I am feeding Henry these days. He still nurses or takes a breast milk bottle in the morning when he wakes up, before afternoon nap and before bed. But he also eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a snack or two as well. He has 7 teeth now (the 7th popped through last night) and he does a fantastic job of chewing up his food with said teeth but alot of these meal ideas he ate before he had more than 2 teeth. I try to keep a balance of the food groups on his plate, I want him to be healthy and learn healthy habits as young as possible. So here are a few ideas for his meals I have done.
For breakfast we often have baby yogurt (organic and whole milk yogurt with low sugar. Win-win-win) with a waffle or pancake and some fruit (usually bananas, blueberries, pears or peaches). Sometimes we do eggs, turkey bacon, egg casserole etc.
 Yogurt again (which comes in apple, blueberry, peach and pear) scrambled eggs, and orange/carrot biscotti teething rolls.

Lunches we do fruit, some kind of meat and something else on the side. Like smoked turkey, string cheese and banana. 
or smoked turkey, fruit puree, cottage cheese and some cheese tortellini

 For dinner he pretty much eats what we eat. This was italian baked chicken, tortellini, roasted peppers and applesauce.
This was balsamic chicken breast and roasted carrots with cottage cheese.  
Roasted carrots, lemon pepper chicken, cottage cheese and applesauce. 

 pasta, cheddar cheese chunks, pears
 black bean and cheese quesadilla and some veggie puree (when he was younger, we don't do puree now)
 Banana and jumbalaya, I pull out portions of what I cook for him before I season it. This was literally veggies, red beans, rice and sausage. He LOVES it.
 Stuffed bell peppers (minus the pepper, although he did eat some of it), quinoa and applesauce.
 Beef stew, I took the meat out and shredded it up for him and he could eat all the soft cooked veggies and basically drank the broth. Cottage cheese for side.
 Cheese and chicken quesadilla, black olives, and peaches.
He eats gerber wagon wheels, puff,s organic yogurt melts, baby goldfish crackers, string cheese, fruit and other random stuff for snacks. Don't worry, Cora always gets a few bites. He LOVES to feed her.
 He thinks he's sneaky doing it under the table.
 Waiting for more goldfish.
 And then sharing them.

 As far as eating out. We take him with us, eating out is enjoyable for us. It's relaxing for me not to have to cook every single night although I do 6/7 nights each week. I usually take a small freezer pack snack sack with us and throw a fruit cup, applesauce, baggie of turkey or chicken or something for him in there and then I can order things off the menu for him. When we go to barbeque, I get the sauce on the side and order half chicken, half sausage and taylor gets half brisket, half sausage and Henry easily eats half of each order of the chicken and brisket, some beans, and some bread. Other places I can order fresh fruit as a side or cottage cheese as a side and I get something with grilled chicken he can take bites of. He's had pizza and salad and such too. I really don't limit him except for fried food, sweets and salty stuff. He will eat broccoli and brussle sprouts, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions etc. Pretty much anything but avacado. I really work with him to get good nutritional variety but also good texture and flavor variety too. I want to avoid a picky eater as much as possible and I do NOT want to be a short order cook so if I can put in the effort now to help avoid that and have him eat everything we do, I'll be thrilled.  I hope that helped! Let know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment